Contents

Tuesday 24 December 2013

My first post

Spent the morning in the library reading recently ordered ’Philip’s Stargazing With Binoculars’. A must for any keen beginner to astronomy. Certainly if you are planning to purchase your first binoculars. The book explains the various benefits of different sizes of binocular and what to look out for when making your purchase. I, on the other hand was a bit impatient and had bought my binoculars already; a £40 10x50 Meade binocular from Amazon. However, Meade did come well recommended in terms of optics. Only time will tell if I was too hasty.

After reading the book I am keen to find out more about image stabilisation binoculars. A bit on the pricey side but the technology seems pretty sound and reviews speak of amazing viewing you can get. I think I will put a posting out to HantsAstro to see what the group think of IS binoculars. Will come back with the input I gather.  

Lastly, I read the Binocular Observer’s Year section of the book to see what the December sky in the northern hemisphere has to offer. Some good ideas captured here. I've pulled together an evenings observing that will include observing the half or quarter moon (this will also be a good opportunity to test my binoculars to see if I get any optical defects, for example, flares coming from the Moon when moving around the field of view). Also planned for the session are the following, the star fields of the Milky Way in and around the Perseus constellation, the Pleiades, M34, Kembles cascade and NGC 663. I will plan my session in Stellarium and get out to one of the sites I’ve been looking into. I’ll post my logs once a clear evening comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment